Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Completed Project: Katy & Laney Tap Shorts



TA-DAAAAH!  So it would appear that I am sewing and blogging again after a one year+ absence!  I was lucky enough to nab a job almost one year ago sewing cushions and upholstery for one of the few locally owned, strictly made-in-the-U.S.A. furniture companies left in my part of the country.  Business has been good so I've been extremely busy.  I also have a rambunctious 4-year-old son, which absorbs a lot of my sewing time.  The plant was closed for the week of the 4th, so I took a minor "sewcation" and actually had a chance to make a few things for myself.  



I'm in dire need of shorts, so my first recorded make after one year: the Katy and Laney Tap Shorts!  These were incredibly quick and easy to construct.  I opted to make view A which features diagonal seams at the front.  No pockets, just a faced waistband, back darts and invisible side-seam zipper.  There are thorough instructions for back welt pockets, but I just wanted to be able to sew something quickly in my limited free time so I nixed those.



I'm a sucker for a high waist, and these are a true high-waisted pair of shorts!  They're extremely comfortable and flattering. 



Back view and side view.  The high waistline is flattering to most backsides, I think!  And this is probably the best and most invisible invisible zipper I've ever sewn!  Their instructions for sewing the zipper are fantastic.



I used a vintage lightweight pinwale corduroy from my deep within my stash (and when I mean deep, I mean that this particular yardage has been in my stash for well over ten - yes, TEN - years!  I thrifted it from a Habitat for Humanity ReStore and could never find the right project for it, mainly because it was only a one yard piece.  View A of the Katy & Laney Tap Shorts only requires one yard of fabric so I finally found the perfect project !


 Inside view of the front diagonal seaming detail.  I finished all interior seams with my trusty serger.




Closer photo of the vintage pinwale corduroy.  Hopefully I will be able to photograph and blog a few more of the projects that I made over my "sewcation" sooner than later.  Thanks for stopping by and happy sewing!

1 comment: